Fatty Acid Oxidation Assay Kit
The Assay Genie Fatty Acid Oxidation Assay kit is a highly sensitive colorimetric assay for the quantitative measurement of Fatty Acid Oxidation in cells and tissues. This unique assay utilizes a highly soluble Octanoyl-CoA substrate which enables the accurate measurement of Fatty Acid Oxidation versus longer chain less-soluble substrates such as the 18C unsaturated fatty acid Oleate.
Figure 1. Tissue lysates were prepared from healthy hamster hearts and the hearts of the TO2 hamster model which is associated with heart failure. Lysates were used in the assay and the levels of fatty acid oxidation quantified.
1 x 96 Assays
Features & Benefits
- Real Direct Results - Simply quantify fatty acid oxidation in cells and tissues using our unique Octanoyl CoA substrate.
- Rapid - Assay for Fatty Acid Oxidation in less than 120 minutes.
- Flexible - No special instrument required. Measure using absorbance plate reader at 492nm.
- Easy-to-use - Simple protocol with 3 kit components.
Fatty Acid Oxidation
Fatty Acid Oxidation is the main metabolic pathway in a number of tissue types. It is also be the primary source of energy in glucose deprived states. Fatty acids provide more ATP per carbon than carbohydrates such as glucose. In tissues with high energy requirements such as heart tissue, up to 50 – 70% of energy comes from fatty acid beta-oxidation, which converts fatty acids to acetyl-CoA with concomitant production of FADH2 and NADH in the mitochondria.
This strictly aerobic oxidative pathway consists of four distinct steps: acyl-CoA dehydrogenation by acyl-CoA dehydrogenase, hydration by enoyl-CoA hydratase, dehydrogenation by 3-hydroxyacyl-CoA dehydrogenase, and thiolytic cleavage by beta-ketothiolase.
The Importance of Studying Fatty Acid Oxidation
The importance of the beta-oxidation system in humans is exemplified by the existence of a group of genetic diseases categorized as fatty acid oxidation disorders (FAODs), which are a heterogeneous group of defects in fatty acid transport and oxidation, and are inherited as autosomal recessive disorders, having a wide range of clinical presentations.
In addition, evidence indicates that regulation of activity of FAO during fetal development is not only important for fetal life but also has implications for health and disease in adulthood. The measurement of FAO activity thus provides valuable insights into the pathophysiologic and metabolic basis of many diseases.
Assay Genie Fatty Acid Oxidation Assay Kit
The Assay Genie non-radioactive FAO assay is based on oxidation of the substrate octanoyl-CoA. Generation of NADH is coupled to the reduction of the tetrazolium salt INT to INT-formazan. The intensity of the red-colored formazan is proportional to increased FAO activity.
- Study of metabolic pathways and processes in healthy and pathologic states (lipid metabolism).
- Study of signal transduction pathways.
- Study of genetic disorders e.g. fatty acid oxidation disorders (FAODs)*.
- Study of cardiovascular disease e.g. heart failure.
- Study of cellular energy metabolism during foetal development.
- Implications of fatty acid oxidation in cancer metabolism.
*This is kit is for RESEARCH USE ONLY and cannot be used for the diagnosis of disease in humans.